Monday, November 19, 2012

Thick of Thin Things


Maybe it's the time of year, or maybe it's the time of my life.   Or maybe it's just time.   I am feeling an ever urgent need and desire to make a difference.   In the world.   In my community.   More likely, just for somebody.

As my daughter and I drove through Starbucks this morning, we talked for a minute about the time the person in front of us paid for our drinks, and how we at one time paid for the drinks of the person behind us.   And it felt good - - both the receiving and the giving.  Especially the giving.    And though it always feels good to do something nice for someone, I thought of how much more it would have meant to someone who really needed help.    It reminded me of the very wise words of someone very dear to me.   I paraphrase - - 
  
Most of us intend to serve and to help those in need.   We've all had our hearts touched as we've seen the needs of another.   How often have we intended to be the one to help?  And yet how often has the day-to-day stuff of "living" gotten in the way and we've left it for others to help?     We become so caught up in the busyness of our lives.    If we were to step back and take a good look at what we're doing, we may find that we have filled our days in the "thick of thin things."  In other words, too often we spend our time taking care of the things which do not really matter much at all in the grand scheme of things, neglecting the more important causes.

I think that the world we live in will not get too much better.   I hope it does.  I fear it will not.   I believe more people will be in need.   In need of food.  In need of shelter.  In need of human kindness.   I know I can't do everything for everybody.   But I can do something for someone.   And it is my goal to live by these words - -

What have I done for someone today?

32 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! I've been thinking about the same thing lately. This year, I really want to do something with the kids that will show them what it means to help others. I think they're at the ages now where they can at least begin to understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think teaching our children to give of themselves is the greatest thing we can give them!

      Delete
  2. We have to hope that it will. I am with you in thinking that it won't.
    I see too many people unwilling to help unless it benefits them in some way.
    That's just sad.
    It's great that you want to do something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the "what's in it for me" mentality is sad.

      Delete
  3. It is a wonderful feeling to give to someone who is truly needy and truly appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This constantly troubles me .. and I strive to do the same .. each day a little something for someone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes - - most of the times - - it's really just the little things that mean so much to people. And that's not hard for any of us to offer . . . :)

      Delete
  5. Awesome post Judy. I often don't know what I can do for people....my go-to thing is to give or make something for someone esp. when they are feeling down. Or just be there for them if they need to talk/vent. My money is so tight that I just can't afford donations to the food pantries or charities like I used to, or take people to lunch. I've looked into volunteer stuff around here but there isn't much that doesn't involve driving far away. Hmmm....food for thought....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally don't think giving necessarily means money. I think giving of our time is a big thing. And sometimes just the common courtesies that we so often forget can make a huge difference - - the smiles, thank yous, opening doors, picking up dropped packages, taking someone's mail to them . . . all sorts of things!! And . . . you said it - - sometimes just listening to someone is a HUGE service!!!

      Delete
  6. Unconditional giving....wrapped with heartstrings

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I left a store yesterday in a busy section of town. There was plenty of time on our meter label (that you put on your dashboard) and someone waiting for our parking spot. I wanted to give them our label because there was still time on it, but my husband whisked us away. It made me sad. I know it wasn't a big deal, but I just wanted to do something nice for someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There'll be more opportunities, but I know what you mean. A small thing to you could have been something really great for that person waiting for your spot! Your heart was in the right place :)

      Delete
  8. We are on the same page here Judy.. I have known my whole life that I am to be in service of others and I don't think of that as a lowly or less than position to be in, quite the opposite, I feel it is an honor and I too strive every day to anticipate a need and fill it. I fail miserably of course but still I strive.. A thought completely and totally driven by my Heavenly Father and I have no shame in admitting that. Trust me, if there is any good in me what-so-ever it ALL because of Him. - Great post. Loved, loved, loved it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And that's the point! We all fail miserably BUT we must keep on trying!!!! You are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know about today, Judy, but I do remember earlier this year when you and your husband opened your home to a child in need. That was HUGE and I am sure there are smaller things that you do every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :). I need to do more - but you are absolutely an awesome woman!!

      Delete
  11. You are such a super person & it is nice to be reminded of those needs of others :]

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you - hope you are doing well and keeping good people close to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so timely. I feel the same way. As a matter of fact, I paid the parking garage fee for the car behind me the other day, and it felt great. I wish the world felt this inspired to give all year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I'm sure you made that driver's day - and maybe he was inspired to pay it forward!

      Delete
  14. I think the world would be a wonderful place if everybody asked themselves that question before going to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great thought! I really love the idea that we need to take a step back. Looking at things from a little further away can make such a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I will be buying the Dunkin' Donuts order for the people behind me in an hour. Time to put some good energy out there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely posting, and reminder of the coming season.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I certainly relate. I, too, want my life to have meaning, a lasting impression. When I was young, I never thought about these things. I agree the world is probably not getting better. It's sad to watch, but God is in charge, and I trust HIM alone.

    ReplyDelete