Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Voodoo Magic

Doughnuts.   Who doesn't love doughnuts?   It's almost unAmerican not to love them.  I love them.  Policemen love them (although that could just be a stereotype).  Little children love them.  Picture a little child eating a jelly doughnut, jelly dripping down his arm, sweet little kisses of thanks afterwards.   What is a sweeter image than that?  No pun intended.    My sister reminded me that when we were little my father would stop for doughnuts after church at Winchells. (No, we didn't have church at Winchells - - I should restructure that sentence.)  Those are good memories.   And if you want a normal, sweet, yummy delicious doughnut, go to Winchells, or Krispy Kreme, or any other doughnut shop.   You won't be disappointed (unless, of course, they taste like crap, which is doubtful because - - they're doughnuts).  


However, if you want an experience along with your doughnut, there is only one place that will doAnd if you've ever been to Portland, Oregon, then you know what I'm talking about.   Voodoo Doughnuts.  The home of the Voodoo Doll doughnut, and many others previously unknown to mankind, with weird names and delicious flavors.   Imagination is the only boundary in the creation of Voodoo Doughnuts.   Open 24/7.   And if you'd like to get married while you're eating your doughnuts, then go ahead, do it - - get hitched at Voodoo Doughnuts.  Seriously.  You can be married (legally, even) beneath a holy doughnut and a velvet painting of Isaac Hayes, if you are irreverent enough to do that.   

Yes, doughnuts are scrumptious and should be and probably are a staple of every obese American's diet.   Let's all get fat together!

http://gimmedoughnut.com/

39 comments:

  1. I adore doughnuts! It's how I get fat when I visit the States. Plain glazed for me.... ohhhh yessss........... want!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you're here we'll hook you up with the best!!

      Delete
  2. I love Voodoo Doughnuts, Judy! When we moved from Chicago to Portland just over a decade ago and I discovered their shop, I knew without a doubt we'd made the right decision. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Portland is a great city anyway . . . but Voodoo Doughnuts is the cherry on top :)

      Delete
  3. Oooh, this post is making me hungry! It's a good thing it's lunch time although my lunch won't be as good as donuts :) When I was in collge, we had a Krispy Kreme close by. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes Yummy Donuts!!! And WOW on Voodoo Donuts have never heard of them sounds delicious. :) My favorite donut is hard to find anymore :( It is the peanut butter filled. Dunkin Donuts told me they don't sell them because ppl are allergic- idk :/ Now I am hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a peanut butter filled donut - - sounds delish!

      Delete
  5. your delicious post made me want some doughnuts from a little place not too far from me "country style donuts" they make all of their stuff---they have been around something like fifty years i think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those little places that only the locals know about are the best, aren't they?

      Delete
  6. Not only do I want a jelly doughnut, I want to go to church at Winchell's Doughnut house! And it doesn't even have to be Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't let that jelly drip down your arm, Mark!

      Delete
  7. I wasn't really into donuts until I tried some at a shop by work. They make them fresh each morning, so when I get there, they are just made. Fresh makes a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The thing is... I'm not that into doughnuts. And I actually felt bad about it. I mean. Who doesn't love doughnuts? Me. Here I go being different again. But they're just so so sweet! Too sweet. I'm still on the lookout for the perfect scrumptious doughnut that will get me addicted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still love you, Larissa, even though you don't like donuts!

      Delete
  9. I was pretty stoked to get back to the east coast b/c of Dunkin Donuts!! YUM!!!!! Is that donut shop in Portland the one that has a walk up window? And they put cereal on some donuts and bacon on the maple bars? I think I saw that place one time when I was down there for the Sat. market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they had a walk-up window, but yes, cereal, bacon, you name it . . :)

      Delete
  10. Oh dear, don't be mad at me -- and, yes, I lean to the left but I am still all-American - but I don't ever eat doughnuts. Horrors! I eat plenty of other treats but I have never been interested in doughnuts. Probably one of my brothers scarred me for life with them (are you listening , Markie?) -- and potato chips - they have never been worth the calories. Corn chips? YES! Homemade chocolate chip cookies? YES! Will you still be my friend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never let a mere doughnut come between us :)

      Delete
  11. I believe I saw a program on the Food Network where they featured Voodoo Donuts. We all love them here, had them for breakfast yesterday. My favorite is Boston Cream. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was Adam Richman travel channel's show "Man v. Food," but maybe they've been on other shows :)

      Delete
  12. Voodoo donut looks absolutely evil. I'll have to eat him when I visit Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely want to want him! He looks super yummy and evil!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's on my list of places to visit! I love doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Krispy Kreme fanatic here! When I was younger I wanted to work at one so I could eat all the profits up! My wise mother advised that if I did get a job there, I'd wind up actually hating doughnuts.

    Voodoo Donuts sounds like a cool place to visit and munch down big time. I'll pass on getting married there, however.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Krispy Kreme Blueberry is the one that got me hooked. Wish we had a Voodoo here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never heard of Voodoo doughnuts. I guess it's just in the States? But I love doughnuts, especially Krispy Kreme ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come visit the Pacific Northwest and we'll get you hooked up!

      Delete
  18. I think that might be the prettiest packaging I have ever seen :)

    Universal Gibberish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if people ever go in and order a box with no doughnuts ?!

      Delete
  19. WWJD - We want jelly donuts! - Def. going to have to try the Voodoo Donuts!Sounds like an awesome place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the last line, but I feel bad since my head start might give me an unfair advantage here. ;)

    ReplyDelete