Monday, April 16, 2012

Ah Nuts!

Take me out to the ballgame
Take me out to the crowd
Buy me some peanuts and crackerjacks . . .
blah blah blah

Seventh inning stretch.  That's the first thing I think of when I think of Nuts.   I don't know why.  Maybe because I grew up in Anaheim and was a California Angels FANatic!!   I was in love with Rick Reichardt, the left fielder.  I was maybe 12 years old.   Total tomboy.   I would go to the games like 3 hours early so I could see every second of batting practice, imagining that all the players knew I was their biggest fan.  Thank goodness, I eventually grew out of that.   (By the way, the California Angels will NEVER be the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - - that is an idiotic name and totally NUTS!)

But now when I think of Nuts I think of things like One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, or the same Jack Nicholson in the Shining . . . "heeeeeere's Johnny."   Creepy NUTS!    Or the guy we sometimes see in our neighborhood walking in the middle of the street spewing crazy nutty unintelligible things.   Definitely creepy  Nuts. 

11 comments:

  1. so .. you're sitting in the ballpark ... high up in the stands .. in the middle of the row .. peanut vendor comes along .. you wave and he throws/tosses the peanuts to you .. HOW DOES HE GET THE $$$?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you pass it down the aisle and over the heads and through the woods . . . and hope nobody pockets it along the way :) Of course.

      Delete
  2. That's a great memory.
    Thank goodness we all grew out of those pre-teen crushes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding. those years were way embarrassing!

      Delete
  3. LOL! What a cute memory. And I love nuts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicholson, Jack. That's an "n" post all by itself :) Stopping by as part of the 2012 A-Z Blogging Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when the Angels came into Dodger country back in 1962. I was not interested. I was still not interested when the Angels pulled the World Series away from the Giants in 2002. This is a great post, Judy. And by the way, the mystery as to why the money for the peanuts always gets to the vendor, is because twenty pairs of eyes (at least) are watching that money every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, first...eggs bene is nothing to fear...you can ask them to cook them medium (cuz the runny white oogs me out too.) Second, thank you for visiting my blog. Third, but probably most importantly, Go Texas Rangers! ;-) I am like my daughter is with hockey...I'll watch any baseball game I can find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, Jaimee - - I'll give you the Texas Rangers thing cuz I like Nolan Ryan :) Still not sure sure about the eggs benedict, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not much of a baseball fan, but I do like nuts of all kinds, as long as they are the kind you can eat. It's fun to think of the freedom we had long ago when the world was an easier place to live, or we just didn't know it could be so nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a baseball fan, but I can talk about peanuts in the shell! A must have on all camping trips and for sitting on beaches....

    ReplyDelete